People talk about fate, destiny, or past mistakes as if there was and is a set pathway we are each walking. The thinking is that if in the past you didn’t take a particular action or you made those mistakes, it inescapably changed everything in your life.
This thinking condemns you to a future that can’t be changed. That forevermore you will be burdened by the chains of your past choices.
And that is all wrong!
It’s true we all make mistakes. Sometimes because we’re unaware or ignorant; sometimes because we’re so fearful of the consequences of the present (or the past) that we run in a direction far more damaging.
The truth is you don’t have to live with your past actions, decisions or choices, because in truth you only have the present. You can’t change the past and you can’t control the future. Right now is a new moment that’s completely yours to action as you see best.
Learning from experiences is a critical goal, but to say you’re chained to what happened yesterday only inhibits you from enjoying the experiences of THIS day. Don’t let anyone or anything from your past stop you from achieving your dreams.
Today IS a new day. Take action now toward your goals. Do not let your past slow down your progress.
The only way forward in life is by taking responsibility for our own life and identifying ways to improve your lot today. Here are some “truths” that might help you on your journey:
- Life is never perfect! There is no such thing as “the right time” – the time to face your lot is now. Yes, it is scary. But its life. Sit down, review all your choices and opportunities and take action! If you worry about taking action, have a look at the next truth…
- You might fail – and continue to fail. The reality is whenever you try something new or set a goal, there is the possibility of failure. However, it is by failure that most of us learn. Only through failure can we have continuous improvement. So ask yourself what can you do better next time?
- The past is done. It is over! You can have regrets, you can wish things went differently but it is the here and now that counts. So shift your attention to the present and move forward to a better future.
- Tomorrow is not guaranteed – this is a powerful truth. There may not be a tomorrow.
- No-one is going to “fix” you – you need to take personal responsibility for your own life. Once you do that – you will realize how much power you really have!
- Being busy does not guarantee you are doing something useful. The tip here is to focus on one thing at a time before moving on to another task.
- You have more time than you think you do. Have a look at how you actually spend your time – record it on a piece of paper. On another piece of paper write down your priorities. Do the two lists match up? How you spend your time is a choice so spend it wisely.
And if you need help moving away from the past or addressing some of the truths above, contact me – That’s what I’m here for.