Why do dumb things happen to smart companies? After 25 years of strategy consulting, I would like to suggest some of the following reasons:
- Companies repeat mistakes
- Work gets duplicated
- Customer relations are strained
- Good ideas don’t get shared
- Competition is around price
- Not keeping up with market leaders or innovators
- Dependence on a few key individuals
- Slow to innovate
- Lack of good market knowledge
People don’t choose for good things to go bad, just as executives don’t choose strategies that fail.
Bottom line I think, is that people in organisations aren’t finding the insights they need, and this has real business consequences.
You may have your new year strategy already drafted, and now the focus is just on starting the new year afresh. However, doing this without first reviewing the past year could land you in some murky waters – with issues unresolved, staff dissatisfied, and without clearly understanding what may not have gone so well, and what could be done better next time.
So during February, schedule some time for yourself, or if you prefer as a team exercise, and use these questions to explore 2020, gain the insights necessary, and ensure you achieve higher goals in 2021:
- What was the most successful initiative of 2020?
- What was the most disappointing (honesty wins out over whitewashing)
- Do you feel you maximised opportunities? If not, why not?
- What could you change now that would have maximum impact on company performance?
- How could you make this change happen and continue in 2021?
- What will be your “theme” in 2021?
- What would be the ideal working environment you would like to have in 2021, and what steps are needed to make it a reality?
- What could you do to provide the tools to help you work smarter and better next year (eg mentoring, training, coaching)?
- What initiatives could you implement to help your staff work better and as a stronger team?
- What are the three actions you can take now to start the year off on the right foot?
These questions are a catalyst for looking at your business. Taking the time to honestly (and without any blame) review both what worked well, and what didn’t work, will strengthen the bonds within your team and ensure that you all start the year positively and motivated to making it a success for everyone.
Coaching in 2021:
If you have considered coaching and would like support in 2021 to achieve your career or personal goals get in touch via our contact form to arrange an initial discovery session.
A discovery session is a 45 minute complimentary session where you can experience the coaching process for 30 minutes and then ask any questions you may have for the remaining 15 minutes. We will both know by the end of the session if we are a good fit.
Start 2021 on fresh footing – with clarity and purpose.