In December last year we decided to undertake a short survey (only 6 questions) with our readers to see how people felt about 2018, and to determine what each of you was seeking in 2019. We promised we would share the survey results!
Well firstly, thank you to the many people who undertook the survey. I so appreciated how many people took the time to respond. Humbled indeed.
Secondly, wow, over 62% of you do not want 2019 to be like 2018.
So what are you looking to change this year and what are your areas of greatest concern?
The issue was not with family, partners and friendships but with careers, physical health/wellbeing and financial situations.
In fact the two top concerns for 2019 in order of highest responses are:
The next markedly lower category of concern was around Health and Personal Aging.
When we asked if you did 2019 like 2018 would you be satisfied, 62% replied No!
However, the next question asked what changes would you make in 2019.
You would have thought people would address their top concern of Finances and Career, right?
Well, the top three answers were: improve my health; go on a holiday; and improve my relationships.
Interesting isn’t it!
As a group we listed our top concerns as Finances and Career – and yet what we want to change in the year ahead relates to Health, Holidays and Relationships!
There’s nothing wrong with wanting to make change to these three areas, but I do think it’s interesting that we don’t seem to want to prioritise the things that are really worrying us.
Let’s go a little deeper.
The final question of the survey addressed the future, identifying your big question moving forward.
We broke up the responses here into the categories of finances, career, and let’s call it wellbeing to fit in with the top concerns.
Result – 60% of you had questions around work and careers, the remaining 40% were equally split between wellbeing and the bigger life questions like “Will there be peace in the world” or “What is my purpose?”
Overall, the majority of you don’t want to repeat 2018 in 2019, and your big questions deal with issues related to your work and careers, yet what you have indicated you want to change relate to other issues.
You can see that as a group we seem unclear on how we should deal with the issues that cause us most concern.
Does that mean we are just accepting that they will remain big areas of concern in 2019 – or are we going to address them?
As Einstein is famous for saying, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.
This begs the question – what will you do differently in 2019 in light of your concerns.
I’ve listed below five questions that will help you to create change in 2019.
- Who will you ask to be your coach and / or mentor this year?
- What professional development or program will you undertake in 2019?
- What network(s) will you become more actively involved in?
- What magazine / reading material will you subscribe to? Think about how you can access information about future trends, innovations that will help you to prepare for the future. Some links to Book Lists.
- Will you do it?
Ultimately making change is up to you.
SPECIAL COACHING OFFER: